Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Un-Wedding by Babette Cole (1997)

This book is about Demetrius and Paula and their problem parents. Their parents fight and disagree about everything until Demetrius and Paula suggest holding an un-wedding.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought the illustrations were a lot of fun and they fit the humorous tone of the book. I think this book addresses a heavy issue in a lighter way that many students can relate to.

I would definitely use this book in my classroom. Like I mentioned, it covers the heavy topic of divorce in a way that many students could probably relate to. It also emphasizes the message that the children are not the reason for the divorce, but that the parents just don't get along. This book also showed the aftermath of the divorce in a positive light, saying that the children got two of everything. I think this would be a good book to use if you know an individual student is going through a divorce, or even to open up a small group discussion about divorce and how to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment