Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mali Under the Night Sky: A Lao Story of Home by Youme (2010)

This book is about Mali and her family escaping their country. Once they escape, they are arrested, but Mali is able to tell them about their memories to comfort them.

This book was okay. The text includes words written in the language used in Laos. I thought this was an interesting way to tie in another culture. My favorite part of the book was the illustrations. I liked the borders around the images. Color was very bold in the images and helped set the mood.

I think this would be a great multi-cultural book to use in my future classroom. As I mentioned before, Lao words are used through out the book to involve another culture. This book also mentions the hardships a family must go through to escape war. This would help give children insight to what goes on in other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment