Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Night of the Gargoyles- Eve Bunting (1994)

This book is about gargoyles coming to life at night. It expresses how bored they become during the day, just waiting for the night life they enjoy. Only one human knows about their escapades, but no one else believes him.

I think this book was alright. Although I didn't really enjoy it at my age, I know I would have loved it as an elementary student. I would have enjoyed the way everything was described and how mischievous the gargoyles were when no one was looking. The adjectives used to describe the gargoyles really help you to envision gargoyles roaming the streets. Instead of just telling the reader about gargoyles, Eve Bunting went into enough detail to show the reader exactly what the gargoyles are doing. The illustrations in this book capture a lot of emotion through the intense shading. Although I enjoy the images, I think that they would catch a students attention more so if they were in color.

I believe the best way to apply this book in my future classroom would be for a fun read book. I could also see where this book would be a good example for a lesson on adjectives because the descriptions in the book are so vivid. I have also seen this book used in art classrooms to help explain art elements such as shading.

No comments:

Post a Comment