Monday, May 23, 2011

Buy My Hats! by Dave Horowitz (2010)

This book is about duo Frank and Carl and their attempt at selling hats. They wait each day for their customers to come, but it seems like there is a new product to beat them out each day. By the end of the story, the weather causes everyone to want to buy hats.

I picked out this book based on the title. I thought it seemed like it would be clever and funny, and it did not disappoint. The text was fun and easy to read. Although the language seemed simple, it was never condescending and was always enjoyable. I also liked the illustrations. As we have discussed in class, good illustrations should add to the text. There were many details and side comments found in the illustrations that made the book that much better.

I think this is a great book to use for a younger elementary class. I think many students will find it humorous and really enjoy looking at the illustrations to try to find something they missed before. This story also has a lesson to be learned without being preachy. Both of the characters are determined and keep up their faith of selling hats until it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment