Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Visiting Day by Jacqueline Woodson (2002)

This book is about a girl that lives with her grandmother because her father is in prison. She makes gifts to bring him on visiting day. Her grandmother explains to her that he will be home one day and they won't always have to go and visit him.

I enjoyed this book. I thought it handled a tough issue in a student friendly way. The text was age appropriate. I also loved the illustrations. They were very colorful and emphasized the mood of the book.

I think this would be a great book to use in the classroom. I think that it would be good to use because there may be students that are in this type of situation and can relate to the main character. This would give them a chance to know that they aren't the only one going through this type of situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment