Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete (2002)

This book is about Callie and her twin brother Charlie. Charlie was born with autism and is different from other children. You see Charlie's life through Callie's eyes and she realizes that even though her brother is different, he still loves his family in his own unique way.

I loved this book. I am interested in teaching special education and it is nice to find a book that embraces students with special needs. The text is written in a way that students will understand. The illustrations are complimentary to the text and emphasize certain points of the book, which I really liked.

I would definitely use this book in my classroom. I could see using it as a free read book. It would help students understand that although their peers have special needs, they still have feelings and express them in a different way than most people. I also think it would be a good book to share with students and parents that have family members with special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment